Do you know what disease is the number one killer? It is heart disease. Cardiovascular disease claims more lives than all cancers combined.
Did you also know that over 80% of cardiovascular related diseases are preventable with diet and lifestyle improvements?
If we can lead a healthier life by choosing better quality foods and taking care of our bodies, think of how many lives might be saved?
Here are a few tips to start nourishing your heart health:
- Reduce or eliminate refined sugars and carbohydrates. Instead start eating whole foods like fish, veggies and fruit.
- Eat greens and ideally bitter greens like those in my recipe for wilted greens with tomatoes, basil and leeks.
- Exercise to support your overall cardiovascular health. Just plain old DO IT! 30 minutes that’s all it takes.
- Reduce stress – that is easier said than done but exercise helps a lot.
- Spend time with people you enjoy—stay away from energy vampires!
I know for some people it is a challenge to train your pallet to enjoy bitter greens. That’s why I have posted my Lemon Ginger Tahini Dressing to the recipe section of my website. This is delish! I use it as a dressing for cooked greens, on fish, as a salad dressing, over cooked asparagus….so many things. And I always get compliments when I serve it to guests.
Lastly I want to share a recording by Dr. Tamara Sachs on “The Heart of the Matter”. If you weren’t able to listen into the call last week you can just click right here and it will take you to a recording.
Well that is it for today. Thank you so much for inviting me into your day! Stay healthy.
P.S. A friend shared this to her Facebook page-I love it and thought I would share….
Above all else guard your heart for everything you do flows thru it--Proverbs 4:23