Do you have secrets? I do…one of my secrets is that there are times when I eat food that makes me feel like crap for the next 24 hours!
Look we all have those occasions. For example let’s say you pretty much live your life gluten and dairy free (like me). Then on Saturday night you go to someone’s house for dinner and find they are serving hand made stuffed manicotti, homemade garlic bread and salad for dinner followed by homemade ice cream for dessert. What do you do?
I think you should enjoy your gracious hostess and the rest of the company, eat as many vegetables as you can, maybe eat a small portion of the rest of the food and drink LOTS of water.
Then secretly resolve yourself to the fact that the next day you are probably going to have what I call a “food hangover”. So here’s my secret for when that happens:
- First thing in the morning start by hydrating your body with 16 ounces of warm water, the juice of ½ of a lemon and 1 teaspoon of local honey.
- At breakfast have a light vegetable protein based smoothie combined with one serving of fruit and a healthy fat like coconut oil or avocado. I love my vegan Complete protein shake for this.
- During the next 4 hours enjoy 24 ounces of water with 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar.
- For lunch enjoy another shake and maybe a salad full of veggies with a light oil and vinegar dressing.
- Follow that over the next 4 hours with another 24 ounces of water.
- At some point in the day move your body for 30 minutes non-stop. Go for a walk, clean your house or workout.
- For dinner go back to your usual healthy eating plan and be sure to include lots of veggies.
We should NEVER avoid spending time with people we enjoy being with just because they do not live our exact lifestyle. Simply move on to a pleasurable passage by using the above quick 24-hour cleanse that focuses on keeping your blood sugar in balance, rebooting your energy and getting rid of bloat.
Life is way too short. I hope to encourage you to enjoy time with those you love even if they don’t share your eating patterns and know that you have a “secret weapon” for the next day.
If you are interested in a little more nutrition news, click here for an interesting article titled: Onions-from old wives’ tales to rock start status. Very interesting. If you want to take the onion thing one step further click here for another article and click here for an Ina Garten recipe for balsamic onions that would be a great topping for oh so many things.
Well that is it for today….thank you so much for inviting me into your day.