Magical snowmen, singing carolers, and spending time with those you love are all the traditions of the holidays. Why not add to those traditions a few healthy holiday food practices that will keep your energy levels high?
Here are a few ideas.
- When you are going to a party, eat normally on the day of a party and be sure each meal is full of dark green leafy veggies.
- Why dark green leafy vegetables? Well they are the dream team for preventing over eating. They signal your body with the feeling of “I’ve had enough”. If you’ve ever had an espresso or a piece of rich dark chocolate you know that a little bit is usually enough. This is from the effect the bitter flavor has on your body. So, fill yourself up with those bitter dark green leafy veggies.
- Right before the party have a cup or bowl of broth based veggie soup. Just broth and veggies.
- Why soup you ask? Well there is a certain amount of stress involved in getting ready for any party, whether you are the host or a guest. An interesting study, published in the April 2011 issue of “Journal of Neurosciences,” showed that increased levels of sodium chloride led to a blunted stress response. That means the soup, which usually has a fair about of sodium in it, just might help you feel calmer.
- Next, eat lots of roasted root veggies (I like to offer to bring these to the party).
- You can easily satisfy your yearning for sweets by piling your plate with sweet roasted root veggies. Do this and you will naturally satisfy your desire for sweetness in a wholesome way. Why not create a healthy fix for those sugary dessert cravings by soothing them with grounding earthy roasted root veggies? Roast them in balsamic vinegar or apple cider and you’ll get even more sweetness from them.
Life is to be enjoyed and there is so much pleasure and freedom that comes from living life healthy. Just keep your portions in check, eat nutritiously and enjoy your healthy life.
Wishing you the healthiest of holidays,
P.S. Stay tuned for a FREE 5-Day Whole Food Challenge that I’ll be offering starting January 1st! If you would like to learn more about my nutrition coaching, fitness coaching, fascia blasting or massage fill out the contact form below or contact me here. I’ve helped thousands of women take back their power and change their life. GIFT CERTIFICATES AVAILABLE