Menopause anxiety…it is probably one of the biggest drivers to overeating.
It can cause all types of complications when we are trying to lose weight. And what you eat can have a significant impact on your mood.
For example, foods that are high in sugar and refined carbs can cause spikes in blood sugar levels, leading to feelings of anxiety and irritability.
On the other hand, healthy foods rich in nutrients like vitamins, minerals, and healthy fats can help turn off anxiety, improve mood and promote feelings of calm and well-being. If you’re looking for mood-boosting foods to add to your diet, consider incorporating some of the following:
1. Salmon: Salmon is a great source of omega-3 fatty acids, which have been shown to improve mood. Omega-3s help to protect against cognitive decline and can also improve joint health. If you don’t like salmon, you can also get omega-3s from other fish, such as tuna or mackerel, or from flaxseeds or chia seeds.
2. Dark chocolate: Who doesn’t love chocolate? Luckily for us, dark chocolate is not only delicious but also good for our mood. Dark chocolate contains flavonoids, which are plant-based compounds that have been shown to reduce stress and improve heart health. Make sure to choose dark chocolate with a high cocoa content (70% or higher) for the most benefits.
3. Spinach: This leafy green vegetable is packed with essential nutrients for our overall health, including magnesium, folic acid, and vitamins B6 and E. These nutrients have all been linked with improved mood and increased energy levels. Add spinach to your next smoothie or salad for a boost of mood-enhancing power.
4. Seeds and nuts: Seeds and nuts are another great source of omega-3 fatty acids and magnesium—two essential nutrients for a healthy nervous system and improved mood. Seeds and nuts are also good sources of fiber, which can help regulate digestion and keep you feeling fuller longer. Snack on a handful of sunflower seeds or pistachios the next time you’re feeling down for a quick pick-me-up.
5. Blueberries: Blueberries are one of nature’s perfect foods—not only are they delicious, but they’re also packed with nutrients that are good for our health, including vitamins C and B6, fiber, and antioxidants. Antioxidants help protect cells from damage and improve overall immunity, which can lead to increased energy levels and improved mood. Add some fresh blueberries to your morning oatmeal or yogurt for a nutrient-rich start to the day.
By eating foods that are known to boost your mood, you can help yourself feel happier and more energetic throughout the day.
Pop me an email and let me know what do you think.
P.S. If you are ready to take it one step further, contact me here and let’s talk about making a plan so you can feel better about you.