Thai Coconut Soup
- 1 inch fresh ginger
- 1 lemon zested
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 pound mushroom (oyster shiitake or cremini)
- 4 limes
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 2 cups cooked chicken optional
- 14 ounces full fat coconut milk
- 4 tablespoons fish sauce plus more to taste
- ground red pepper to taste
- Slice galangal (or ginger) into diagonal quarter inch slices.
- Cut the lemongrass into 3 inch pieces, and use a pestle or
- the bottom of a glass ball jar to smash them.
- Bring broth to a boil in a large saucepan, add galangal or
- ginger and lemongrass, and reduce to a simmer. Continue
- simmering until broth is reduced to half. Remove ginger and lemon grass.
- Meanwhile, slice the mushrooms; zest a quarter of the limes
- and juice all of them. Chop cilantro, and shred cooked
- W hen the broth is reduced, add lime zest, mushrooms, and
- coconut milk. Continue simmering for 10-15 minutes, until
- mushrooms are cooked to desired consistency.
- Remove from heat. Add shredded chicken. Start seasoning by
- adding fish sauce and juice of half the limes. Add more fish
- sauce or lime to taste of either if necessary.
- Serve steaming, garnished with cilantro and ground red
- pepper to taste.